Even if you don’t normally file taxes, you may still qualify for an Economic Impact Payment

If you’re a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or qualifying resident alien, not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number, you may be eligible for an Economic Impact Payment. You don’t have to have income to claim a payment. If you’re experiencing homelessness, you may still be eligible. The payment is not income and you will not owe tax on it. It won’t affect your eligibility for federal government assistance or benefit programs.

If you don’t normally file taxes, you need to sign up by November 21, 2020, at IRS.gov/nonfilereip to receive a $1,200 payment. You may also get an additional $500 for each qualifying child. You’re not required to file a tax return for 2019 if your income is below $12,200, or $24,400 for married couples.

Don’t use the non-filer tool if you:

  • Can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
  • Filed or will file a 2018 or 2019 return

To sign up you’ll need:

  • Name, a mailing address and an email address
  • Date of birth and valid Social Security number
  • Bank account information, if you have one
  • Identity Protection PIN, if you’ve received one from the IRS
  • License or state ID, if you have one
  • Name, SSN and relationship for each qualifying child

If you receive any of the following benefits, you should have automatically received your payment where you normally receive your benefits.

  • Social Security retirement, disability or survivor benefits
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Veterans Affairs Compensation and Pension benefits
  • Railroad Retirement benefits

Visit IRS.gov/coronavirus for more information.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s