Why volunteer at a free tax site?
Arkansas Asset Builders is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program partner, providing free, volunteer-prepared tax preparation to individuals and families with annual incomes up to $57,000. Tax refunds that include the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) are an important resource for hard-working families, helping them to get ahead financially, pay down debt and work toward saving for the future. At VITA sites, IRS-trained and certified volunteers prepare and electronically file state and federal income tax forms at no charge and determine a taxpayer’s qualifications for tax credits and refunds.
Every volunteer-prepared tax return yields an average refund of $2,469 for a hard-working household in our community. Sign up to be a VITA volunteer and put more tax refund money in the pockets of hard-working Arkansans!
Tax Site Roles
In response to the COVID-19 public health crisis, most of our volunteer roles are available as either remote or in-person opportunities. All in-person volunteers will follow COVID screening, social distancing, PPE usage and sanitizing protocols. Remote volunteers will required to follow privacy and security protocols when using their own phone and/or computer to access taxpayer information. More information will be provided to registered volunteers at pre-season orientation sessions.
- Tax Preparer: Prepare income tax returns using TaxSlayer Online software, communicate with clients regarding any tax documents that are missing, quality review the work of other volunteers (if experienced).
- Intake Coordinator: Determine whether a taxpayer qualifies for VITA services, help filers complete the required intake process, manage appointment schedules, answer general questions about our process and services.
- Savings Specialist: Help filers learn about ways to save and stretch their refunds, pull free credit reports and review with clients, provide referrals to other services.
- Spanish Interpreter: Assist in translating languages for both volunteers and filers.
If you have these skills…
- Experience using computers;
- Time to commit at least three hours per week from late-January until mid-April; and,
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, in English or Spanish.
We’ll provide all the training you need!
VITA is a meaningful, unique experience for the volunteers and filers. As a volunteer, you’ll:
- Learn valuable, lifelong skills;
- Obtain an IRS certification to build your resume; and,
- Make a difference in the community where you live by empowering our hard-working neighbors to access important tax refunds at no cost.
Want to sign up?
Click the button below to register. If you have questions, feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.