Why volunteer at a free tax site?
Arkansas Asset Builders is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program partner, providing free, volunteer-prepared tax preparation to individuals and families with annual incomes up to $60,000. Tax refunds that include the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) are an important resource for hard-working families, helping them to get ahead financially, pay down debt and work toward saving for the future.
At VITA sites, IRS-trained and certified volunteers prepare and electronically file state and federal income tax forms at no charge and determine a taxpayer’s qualifications for tax credits and refunds. We help our clients avoid predatory fees and financial products offered by the for-profit tax preparation industry that target low-income households with the largest tax refunds.
Since 2017, Arkansas Asset Builders’ volunteers have prepared over 1,800 tax returns, saving our clients $500,000 in avoided tax preparation fees and returning more than $1.7 million in federal tax refunds to our community. Sign up to be a VITA volunteer and put more tax refund money in the pockets of hard-working Arkansans!
Tax Site Roles
For the 2023 tax season, the majority of our volunteer activities will be conducted in person at the Faulkner County Library in Conway, AR. Limited remote volunteer opportunities may also be available. Email email@example.com if you are specifically interested in remote service.
- Tax Preparer: Prepare income tax returns using TaxSlayer Online software, communicate with clients regarding any tax documents that are missing, quality review the work of other volunteers (if experienced).
- Intake Coordinator: Determine whether a taxpayer qualifies for VITA services, help filers complete the required intake process, manage appointment schedules, answer general questions about our process and services.
- Savings Specialist: Help filers learn about ways to save and stretch their refunds, pull free credit reports and review with clients, provide referrals to other services.
- Spanish Interpreter: Assist in translating languages for both volunteers and filers.
If you have these skills…
- Experience using computers;
- Time to commit at least three hours per week from late-January until mid-April; and,
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, in English or Spanish.
We’ll provide all the training you need!
VITA is a meaningful, unique experience for the volunteers and filers. As a volunteer, you’ll:
- Learn valuable, lifelong skills;
- Obtain an IRS certification to build your resume; and,
- Make a difference in the community where you live by empowering our hard-working neighbors to access important tax refunds at no cost.
Want to sign up?
Click the button below to register. If you have questions, feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.